Thursday, March 15, 2007

reminiscent musings of LA etc

The internet has (excuse the cliche), made the world a much smaller place.

In Novemeber of last year, I returned from living in LA for 4 months. I will refrain from elaborating on my experiences in the City of Angeles as I am sure you can imagine the sorts of activities I indulged in.

The extent to which the internet is used in America is vastly superior to our own uses. Not only do the supersites like myspace and youtube reign supreme and play a much more active role in the lives of many, but also the speed and availability of internet access is far in excess of anything I have experiences in Australia. Free wireless connection throughout the city (malls, shops, cafes) coupled with much more affordable equipment makes for a very switched on society.

My girlfriend felt sick, so rather than visit a doctor (very expensive) we looked up her symptoms on the widely advertised, webmd.com. We needed to find something to do on a Friday night, so we browsed the Hollywood section of events on myspace. Internet shopping is far more commom place and study is far more accessable.

When i left LA I left with many new friends, some closer to my heart than others. Since EVERYBODY I met has a myspace account, keeping in touch is far easier than it would have been a mere 3 years ago. Some of these friends would no doubt fade from my memory had I not "added" them to my account.

In addition to the whole myspace explosion, entire communities of people who know each other exclusively online exists in forums. I myself am partial to inthemix.com.au, the leading Australian dance music website. I also write event reviews for the site.

Now that I am back home and Janette (my girlfriend) has returned to LA after living in Australia for 3 months, we plan to get webcams. Not only will this help us to feel closer but it will obviously, also allow us to maintain a level of er... intimacy until I return in July. Technology is great!

Having used the internet from a young age, I have seen the development of the "megasite" and been witness to its crazes, fads and advances.

i have also seen the future in LA, and it looks exciting.

Speaking of the future, Alphaville, shown in today's lecture was a French 1960's impression of a futuristic society dominated by eerie music and suspicious glances. With a plot that is no doubt leading somewhere slightly more tangible, I look forward to watching the rest of Alphaville.

I have added some blogs from my (our) class and i look forward to meeting some of you in person. Or perhaps we could just maintain our online community and anonymity in a truely contemporary fashion?


Thats all for this weeks entry, I look forward to meeting some of you guys in person... personally!

Also my myspace is myspace.com/samsadventure

- Sam

1 comment:

melza said...

Found your comparison to the states of interest. Can not say that I am totaly surprised that we are behind but intregued by how much technology is incorporated into everything.
The photo? Girlfirends got you from getting into trouble then hey, lol. Good on her. Good on you both for using the new age tec thing to keep it going. That's cool